Thursday, December 2, 2010

"You're Ugly, Too" by Lorrie Moore

In class, we were asked to decide whether or not we liked the character of Zoe. Personally, I found her to be rather humorous and I enjoyed her character a lot. Zoe was someone I could relate with because she is incredibly sarcastic, a quality which I myself seem to acquire. At times, she was so completely blunt and honest that I was caught off-guard. For instance, when talking to Earl, she gets annoyed and says "Tell me, Earl. Does the word fag mean anything to you?" (page 369). You can't get much more straightforward than that! Also, her overall cynical view towards love was pretty humorous. Usually women fantasize about finding their one true love, and spend their whole lives looking for their "knight in shining armor". Not Zoe. She made it perfectly clear that she didn't believe in the magic of love like everyone else.

1 comment:

  1. any thoughts on why she didn't believe in love....was she hurt in the past?

    ReplyDelete