Thursday, April 21, 2011

Parallelism

"At one time the moon, which had before been clear, was suddenly overspread by a thick cloud, and I took advantage of the moment of darkness and cast my basket into the sea." (page 125)

Of all the things I could have chosen to talk about, I am still surprised that this sentence struck me the most and really stood out from the others. Earlier in the novel, the monster compares himself to the Fallen Angel and to Adam, saying that his creator is like God who rejects him for what he is. Here, I could not help thinking about how casting a basket into the sea was just like the story of Moses. When his mother couldn't take care of him anymore because of current society, she floated him down the Nile in the hope that one day he would find someone who would treat him with love and affection. I am sure that he never finished this female monster later on, so it made me start to wonder if he'll ever start to understand love or be treated with it before he dies. Because a life without love seems like no life at all. Through this indirect allusion, I saw parallelism with the Bible and with Frankenstein. I wonder if that works for the book's favor in terms of popularity or not. I feel like that could be detrimental to a book's success if a person doesn't identify whatsoever with the religious affiliation there.

No comments:

Post a Comment