Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tragedy

"She was there, lifeless and inanimate, thrown across the bed, her head hanging down, and her pale and distorted features half covered by her hair. Everywhere I turn I see the same figure - her bloodless arms and relaxed form flung by the murderer on its bridal bier. Could I behold this, and live?" (page 144)

Personally, I found this moment to be one of the most climactic of the entire novel. Victor's character has finally reached his breaking point, his epitome of sadness. He doesn't understand why he can't continue to go on with his life in peace and instead is having it ruined by a creation he made years ago. What I find most ironic is that Victor gave the monster life, but now the monster is choosing to live his life in a devotion towards ruining Victor's. How can he be okay with that after all that he learned about interpersonal relationships from the De Lacey's? Granted, yes, I understand that he has a tragic lifestyle and must deal with rejection, yet even still I feel like destroying Victor's life is the incorrect course of action. If anything, Victor was the one person in the world who had the potential of being the monster's friend. He created him, so he had no reason to run away in terror. And now that the monster lost his temper with him I don't really see that as being a possibility anymore. While Victor's flaw could be considered being too curious, I would say that the monster's flaw could be considered his uncontrollable rage/temper.

No comments:

Post a Comment