Friday, July 9, 2010

I liked how this chapter gave me insight as to what Jake Barnes is thinking. Due to the fact that his feelings towards Brett have varied throughout the entire novel, it was intriguing to hear what was on his mind. Personally, I think he feels jealous of Mike's romance with her and started disliking Cohn because of his affection towards her. He keeps saying that he doesn't care about her anymore, but it is easy to see that is clearly untrue.
"I paid my way into enough things that I liked, so that I had a good time. Either you paid by learning about them, or by experience, or by taking chances, or by money. Enjoying living was learning to get your money's worth and knowing when you had it. You could get your money's worth." (page 152)
I liked this point of view. I especially liked the part about "learning to get your money's worth and knowing when you had it". That is an intelligent statement. In order to be happy, one must know what makes them happy and go after it. It also means that someone needs to realize happiness when it comes to him. If it is not acknowledged, then it doesn't exist as fully. People need to learn to appreciate happiness and good fortune when it is present.

1 comment: